As part of my series on cleaning out my pantry and freezer, this is another recipe which I threw together based on what I wanted to use!
It is a curry spotlighting spinach and dal (lentils). One primary driver for choosing the recipe I did from Veg Recipes from India blog is that it is onion-less. I actually ran out of onions today after cooking a chili and making stock.
I used as many ingredients as I could, but made substitutions where I didn’t have what was called for (green chilies and red chili powder and the two specified dals).
- 3/4 small green lentils (from Trader Joe’s)
- 1-10oz frozen package of Birds Eye chopped spinach
- Sprinkle of jalapeno pepper powder
- Around 2 tbsp of ginger paste
- 2-3 ts cumin seeds
- 1/2 ts Hing
- 1/2-1 ts tumeric
- Sprinkle of chili powder and cayenne pepper
- 2-3 tbsp ghee
- 3 okras chopped
I followed the instructions as advised. Early taste tests indicate that the dish is super tasty! Can’t wait to have it with rice after a night of the flavors melding!